Tuesday, August 02, 2005

this AF thing

I was never a big fan of a certain reality TV show, like the Akademi Fantasia, as I had mentioned it here in my blog before.



I mean, I understand the objectives of such programme, in order to dig out the young singing/performing talents that might have hidden among the current generation of kids. What I just couldn't understand is the sort of fanaticism that comes with it, among the viewers of the TV show, which somehow overshadows the real important effort of un-earthing such great talents, IF there WERE any in the first place to start with.

In my opinion, as long as the judges had done a good joob in narrowing down the contestants during the preliminary rounds, then the latter part should be too hard to deal with. Unfortunately that doesn't always seems to be the case.

For most of the times, the producer seems to be just happy to rely on mere good looks, sans any singing talents at all. Of course when it comes to show like Akademi Fantasia (AF), or any other show for that matter, THAT's what seems to sell. Millions worth of TXT messages sent by these so-called fans, to ensure that their favourite singer stays in. Don't worry if he/she couldn't sing in-tempo, or sings out-of-tune, or didn't even have a nice personality to start with. If they're cute, keep them in!

Sad. But that's the truth which you can see, really happening.

In the current season of AF, based on my short observance during my recent trip back to KL, I was sad to find out that among all their contestants, there were only (at least in MY opinion) 2 or 3 of them (all girls) who really deserve to be there. There rest were only filler, to maximise the SMS-voting money-return potentials.

And then, there was also this Mawi phenomenon. He's an under-achiever whom many, well at-least a significant portion of the viewers, want to win the contest. I'm not sure why, but it must be in context of all this Malaysia Boleh chant, to prove that no matter what your background is, you CAN do it if you try.

A noble thinking indeed, but ONLY made sense if it really has substance.

I personally don't think Mawi was such a hot contestant to start with. His singing was just mediocre, and at times quite restricted to a certain style. And don't even think of mentioning the fact that he had sang out-of-tempo on a few occasions during the concerts.

On the other hand, there are others who actually GOT the potential, like the youngest among them all, Amylea, who deserves to win, but probably won't because she couldn't rake in the votes needed. LOT$$$ of them.

The funny thing was, even all my sisters had joined this Mawi-world (don't ask me, THAT's his favourite tagline) bandwagon. And not forgetting my Mom too *face-palms*, although she much prefers if he keep himself stay doing the qari (quran reciting) thingy, like any other Malay mothers would love their kids to be, rather than indulging in the so-called sinful life of the popstars. Oh the horror! ;-)

So even when I returned to Perth, I managed to satisfy my curiousity of what happened to the latter part of AFs, through the writings that I could find in the blogsphere. The musings from this person is my favourite, since it's always bias-ly entertaining (haha) and informative too. (Thanks fiebie!)

The latest news is that they are up to the final four contestants, which means the Grand Final is just around the corner. And as expected, Mawi's in; along with Amylea, Felix and Marsha (to loosely^ quote from fiebie, fighting among themselves for the first, second and third runner-up places!)

Frankly speaking, all is still not lost. What required now is some pro-active actions from the factions of voters who do NOT support Mawi.

(Hehehe.. sorry-lah Along, Angah and Usu.. I STILL don't think he's THAT good a singer! :-P)

It's a well known scenario that Mawi got the most number of supports in term of SMS votings. So the only way to deal with it, is for the remainder of the voters to group together, and decide which one among the three other finalists (being Amylea, Felix and Marsha) truly DESERVES to win, and concentrate voting on THAT person instead!

It's probably still a long way shot, but still worth trying, I think.

And of course, if you ask me, I still think Amylea is the best bet. But then, THAT might be the hidden fanatic side of me doing the talking. We'll never know!

AFundi AMYLEA!!

;-)

*****


^EDITED 3rd August 2005: Because this was what he really said in his entry..

"... At least ada jugak le 3 orang yang berbakat besar dalam AF tu akan memperjuangan tempat ke dua, tiga dan empat..."

Malaysia Boleh indeed!

8 Comments:

Blogger Fiebie said...

hahaha, never in my life gitu, i got quoted in such manner. Usually, my blog is use as a sample of bad writing, not to mention the grammar, and also negative influence.

by the way, i have been reading dua sen blog from the early day of its existence and always been a avid fan, and i never realise the writer is you.

Tuesday, August 02, 2005 3:09:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, dude. I'm the other Azmi. Hehe ! Just got here through Nick's blog.

Finally, someone who's on the same page as I am. I too, couldn't understand the fanaticism, from your own words, of Mawi(World ?!!) fans. I mean, sure he at least CAN sing but there are better singers in the group. Amylea, for once, has the talent if not for that lil controversy in the academy. That might put the voters off from voting her. I don't know the whole story, just got to know a lil bit from my sis.

Yup, the show has lost its purpose.

What do you think about the habit of showing each contestants' percentages of votes at the beginning of the show ?! I don't think it's necessary at all. It's as if to lure the voters to vote more to keep their favourites from being voted out.

P/s: Now, can anyone tell me what appeal does Felix has ?!! To me, he's better suited at acting. He's one hell of a joker. ;-p

Wednesday, August 03, 2005 4:17:00 pm  
Blogger azmi | 2¢ said...

fish/fiebie >>
Don't be too harsh on yourself. You are a good writer. And a funny one at that too! I always enjoy reading your blog.
Keep on writing occay.. To quote you again: Mekk sukkkaaaa!!

the other Azmi >>
Hey.. this is weird dude! Like talking to myself. Haha.. Thanks for dropping by here. Do you have a blog of your own?
Anyway, the thing about Felix? Don't think he's a joker. Because he is THE joke! Hehe.. I'm sure I got some of his fans out there very upset!

Wednesday, August 03, 2005 4:45:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, man ! Ppl is SO into blogging nowadays. That made me wanna have a blog of my own. I doubt mine will be as entertaining as yours and Nick. Heck, I don't even know what I'm goin to talk about with my limited English and all. We'll see. I'll keep you posted ! ;-p

Thursday, August 04, 2005 5:42:00 pm  
Blogger azmi | 2¢ said...

the other Azmi >>
I'd say.. GO FOR IT!!
It doesn't matter what topics you write, nor whatever language you choose to write them in.. As long as it comes from your heart, THAT is all that matters.
;-)

Friday, August 05, 2005 11:30:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alamak I'm confused by all the azmis. As if one azmi blogger wasn't enough, now we have TWO! ;-P

Tuesday, August 09, 2005 11:23:00 am  
Blogger azmi | 2¢ said...

jazz >>
Hehehe.. The more, the merrier!
;-)

Tuesday, August 09, 2005 12:33:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

bodohnye blog

Sunday, August 21, 2005 7:50:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home