Friday, July 29, 2005

I won a lucky draw!

Yup you heard it right, there.

We just got back from this fund-raising dinner tonight, celebrating the retirement of a prominent politician of the state (who used to be Neil's boss at work).

Frankly speaking, I've never been to such dinner, you know with LOTS of politicians and big-shots in the guest list, and were truly surprised that I had a great time there.

Throughout the night, there were a few selected speakers, whom each gave a 3-minute speech, toasting (or sometimes roasting too) the above-mentioned retiring guy. Some were serious, some were funny, and a guy even wrote a song and sang it there too.

And of course, everybody made me feel comfortable too, saying hi's (from those whom I've met in other circumstances before) and doing small chats.

The best thing that happened in the night was of course when they started announcing the raffles ticket winners. We didn't buy the raffles since we already paid to attend the dinner itself. (It IS after all a FUND-raising dinner to start with, remember?!) BUT when they announced the three winners of the door-prize, meaning from the tickets we bought to attend the function, MY name was announced as one of the lucky ones!

"Ticket #164, *pause to check from the long list of guests* The name's Azmi , from Table 7"

Woohoo!

You see, I've won loads of other things in my life before. Free CDs. DVDs. Movie tickets. Free meals. Etc. But never anything from the lucky draw like that.

I was supposed to be collecting a wine bottle for my winning ticket at the end of the dinner, but somebody must have swiped it first, so the organiser had decided to replace it with a free bottle of wine port; The Bassendean 'Centenary 2001' Vintage Port 1998, produced by the families of the former WA Labor Senator Giles.

We've had the port before and it was pretty good. And also good to have it around the house too, especially when having guests over for dinner, as the post-dessert drinks. Yum.

Anyway, truth to be told, it wasn't really the gift that counts, but the exciting thought that I've actually won something for free that night, that really matters. Hehe.. I know.. I'm the biggest cheapskate in the entire universe.

:-P

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home