Thursday, October 21, 2004

And the dam simply burst..

Reading abdaziz's blog yesterday makes me think on why some people react to certain things differently compare to others. And he was talking about reactions to the scenes in the movie, at the cinema.

Well you know, those horrible bunch who always laugh insensitively during sad scenes, or even worse, making jokes and laughing hysterically during scary horror scenes.

Why can't they just act normal, and be sad or scared accordingly as what unfolds in the movies. Or even if THAT is hard enough, why can't they just shut up and let other people enjoy the rest of the show?

Me, on the other hand, find it very easy to be moved by the sad scenes in a movie; the good decent ones of course. And a very convincing acting helps a lot too.

I remembered during college time, back in ITM Shah Alam, when I'd go and watch the movie Powder (starring Sean Patrick Flanery, Jeff Goldblum, Lance Henriksen & Mary Steenburgen) again, & again, & AGAIN, and still being touched each time. Never once that I left the cinemas without my red teary eyes.

Then there's the movie In America (with the Oscar-nominated performance by Samantha Morton, although it was the sisters' Sarah & Emma Bolger cute performances that really steals the show) which I watched during my flight coming home from our Europe holidays earlier this year. We just had finished our in-flight meal, and the movie was about to end. And then suddenly there it was: the daughters were telling their Dad that it's OK to let their (dead) brother go, and tears just rolled down my cheek without any hesitation. Right there (in a flight full of other strangers who were probably wondering: What the..? But hey, I was enjoying my in-flight movie OK?!) and just like that.

On a recent note, there was the Sex & the City last Monday night, in one of its final episode. The one when Samantha finds out a very shocking news about herself. I was still calm and controlled the moment she got the news. But I failed miserably the moment she shared the news to her fellow girlfriends, during Miranda's big wedding day.

And it wasn't the sad news that really touched me, at leasts not as much as the fact how accommodating & understanding the other girls were when they heard it first, even Miranda on her very special day. Just the thought of no matter what happened, you could at least have you best mates to rely on. And THAT's when it happened. All hell's break loose, and my emotional dam simply burst. Just like that.

It must have been the friendship factor that touched me the most, and I guess Neil understood it, and just let me sit quietly next to him, half-cuddling me while I just sniffed-and-snorted myself, with a vey wet tissue paper clutch in my palm, through the rest of the episode that night. Very comforting.

I don't know. Maybe I'm a tad bit too in-touched with my feelings, when it comes to all things sad and emotional. Or maybe I'm just being too emphatically stronger when it comes to being understanding the feeling of what others are going through. Dunno-lah.

One thing for sure, all these never brought me down. Instead, all this sad scenes in movies and TV shows just made me more conscious to reflect on myself and my life, and made me realized how lucky I am to have what I have now.

I supposed, a little bit of reality-check every once in a while in one's life could never do any harm at all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home