Thursday, July 01, 2004

Bone

Bone Adventures! by Jeff Smith Once upon a time, when I was still young and innocent (hehe.. just couldn't help it!), comics had such a HUGE effect on me. The stories I read always manage to amaze me without fail. Of course, THAT was when I was still on my study scholarship, and reading comics are just as essential in my life as eating, and breathing, and even revisioning on my studies (which obviously NOT quite my focus at that time. Haha.. hopefully my family's not reading this!)

Bone Logo by Jeff Smith Anyway, it was also at that time when I first took notice of Bone, a comic book so full of adventures, which was beautifully done by Jeff Smith in such intricate details, hand-drawn in black and white. But of course back then, due to the limited funds in my scholarship ( I got to eat too, you know), I could only do with buying limited comic titles, so I just concentrated on my Aliens (by various artists) series, some Sandman and Death (both titles by Neil Gaiman, with cover by Dave McKean and art by various artists) graphic novel tradepaperbacks issues, and of course my all time favourites Calvin and Hobbes (by Bill Watterson).

Jeff Smith's Fone Bone & Smiley Bone Action Figures Yesterday, I was reminded of this fascination, as I stopped by in a comic shop in the city, browsing. And also to find out more about Bone comic books collection (you see, I just bought this 2 cool figurines (action figure rather than toys! Hehehe..) of the comic characters (Fone Bone and Smiley Bone) at another store for a cool bargain of AUD$8 each! Yay!!) I was surprised when I was told by the shopkeeper that they had just ended his series of adventure about a month ago! (Finishing with issue #54)

WHAT?! Why is that they always decide to end a good running comic titles? First it was Sandman and his stories of The Dreaming. Then, it took me ages to recover from the loss of Calvin and his pet tiger Hobbes (okay, the tiger was only his stuffed toy, but hey who's counting anyway?), and now it's the Bone cousins? :"(

Jeff Smith's Bone, this time in French! Now I really GOT to catch up with their stories. The good news is, the comic publisher also decided to do a special release of all Bone comics collected in a limited edition SINGLE Volume book (collecting all 9 Volumes of book so far, ie. right up to the end of the epic adventure), with the total of 1300 pages! AND, the BEST news is that it'll only cost us US$39.99 (probably cheaper through the Amazon website) which is about AUD$71.95.. That is much better than trying to collect the whole volumes individually which could run the cost up to AUD$270.00.. *Ouch!*

*Hmmmm..* The only thing is, I got to check that BIG volume first before decided to buy it since I'm a little bit doubtful that the binding would work to deal with such number of pages.

Either way, I'm looking forward to experience a great adventure with Fone Bone, Phoney Bone, Smiley Bone and Thorn, fighting the evil doings of The Hooded One and his army of Rat Creatures..

Exxxxcellennttt... ;-)

2 Comments:

Blogger No Milk Please said...

i've seen the action figures at the comic book store but i haven't read the comic. i'll check it out next time i'm there...

Tuesday, July 06, 2004 1:04:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh YES you certainly should, Paul. I myself would definitely be getting those Bone Tradepaperback Volume(s); the BIG set volume OR each one individually!

I just think it's something worth having to read and to keep! :-) Besides, the art are just so awesome to be admired too..

Tuesday, July 06, 2004 5:18:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home