Tuesday, June 22, 2004

One huge book

Book front cover We went to a book launch at Boffin Bookstore in Hay Street, earlier tonight. It started at 6pm, and was for the launch of the book: The Phaidon Atlas of Contemporary World Architecture (Comprehensive Edition).
This is obviously no ordinary book, I'd tell you.

It's bloody freakin' HUGE!

It's almost as big as the other book G.O.A.T (which actually stands for Greatest Of All Time), a special tribute to the all time super hero boxer Muhammad Ali.

So, I'll say this book (the one I went for its launch) is the equivalent of that, or shall I say it's the boxing book of architecture..?!

Book inside Not only it amazes me in its size (and sheer weight - watch out your back! LOL), it also so FULL of information (photos, plans, elevations, etc) of recent architectural work that has been completed. (Have a sample of how the book look inside in the image above.) What I like about it is the fact that every project is also listed in a location/key plan, which would give you a rough idea of where the particular building is located, thus giving you some sense of site context for better understanding. If only the publisher could squeeze ALL technical information too (all plans, elevations, sections, etc.. I know I'm being extra greedy here! LOL), then this book would be perfecto!

[And now that they've started with THIS edition (projects circa 1998 till 2004), they might want to consider releasing a prequel volumes showcasing other earlier architectural showcases (Frank Lloyd Wright, Le Corbusier, Mies Van der Rohe, every single ones!).. all in similar format. THEN, I'll definitely be very tempted to start collecting them ALL (haha.. I am one helluva horder freak!)But then, I'd NEED to win some Lotto BIGTIME, first! :-)]

To quote a famous architect Zaha Hadid (which was featured in the leaflet promoting the book): "Now we need to reinforce the shelving!" Yup, it was THAT big. At 450x310mm (17.5 x 12.2 inches), and 812 pages, it ends up weighing 6.6kg (that's 14.5 lbs)!
Book view
NOT something you'd make an effort to lug around in your shoulder bag all day long, eh?! Hehehe.. :-P

I'd sure LOVE to lay hands on one of those though, but at the price it's offered: AUD$275 (UK£100)! *Sheesh!* Where am I gonna get such money like that?!

Anyway, browsing on the net, I also found out that thru Amazon UK, the same book can be obtained at UK£60! Now, THAT's a bargain I'd say.

Just need to find out whether they'll do delivery to Australia at no extra charge! ;-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home